The first thing to be done to the kitchen is the removal of that big sliding door. My parents came down and helped me pull it out of the opening. We used a reciprocating saw to cut all the nails around the frame after the glass doors were removed.

 This was where all the fun started… Looking at the wall supports around the door, we could see that it had been eatten, probably by carpenter ants. There were no insects left in the wall, but the damage was already done.

We started to remove shingles and plywood from the outside of the wall to see how bad the damage was. It looked as though the ants only made it about to the end of the deck, so that was lucky.

We also noticed that the wood underneath the sliding door was rotten. While I was at work, my dad removed about a foot of deck attached to the house. Because the deck was directly attached to the house, water had rotted the rim joist and the bottom sill plate. The house was almost not supported by anything along the deck.

The house was jacked up and a new pressure treated sill plate was installed under the floor joists (This was also done while I was at work by my dad). We then nailed on a new pressure treated rim joist on the luckly still good floor joists.

Once all the plywood was removed from the side of the house, 2×4 supports were attached next to the rotten pieces. They were cut tight so that the load was taken by the new supports. A new frame was built around where a normal door would open out to the deck.

Certain chuncks of the old plywood was still good, so up went the siding. Covering in black tar paper, then started with the shingles. I started putting up the shingles, then Liz actualy installed most of them (She learned how to use the chalk line)! They look quite good.

Before the shingles went up, the new door went into the hole left in the wall. This was bought at Lowes and precariously brought over the Newport bridge on the roof of my tiny Suzuki SX4. After this very scarry experiance, we unpacked the door and fit it in the hole… and it was too tall. I had to remove about an inch knotch from the header above the door.

With the door, shingles and a coat of paint, the wall was done. The only thing left was to fix up the gap between the deck and the house. That took awhile though. In the mean time we had to put a small wooden bridge for Ace because he was afraid to jump the wide chasm.

When i did get around to replacing this section, i bolted short 2×6 sections to the deck joist. There was no headder this time to attach to the house. I didn’t want to create the same water problem the previous deck caused, plus the deck was quite solid without the attachment. I reused the old decking that was pulled off from before and everything looked like new.

Now the only thing left to do, if I ever get around to it, is to paint a new corner board and replace the gutter drain. I kinda want to burry a PVC pipe down the yard to send that gutter water way from the house too. Well see if I can get Liz to do that…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *